REPORTS TO: VP, Product & Portfolio Management
Based in San Marcos, California, Blast Motion is defining the future of swing analysis and wearable motion capture technology. Blast’s patented swing analysis and wearable motion capture technology is designed to create a seamless user experience that’s portable, affordable, and easy to use. These innovations create an on-demand, personalized user experience that enhances the way people coach, recruit, train, analyze, and improve their game.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
Blast Motion is seeking an experienced Program Manager who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and leading multiple cross-functional development programs within the Blast Motion R&D organization. These programs contain complex activities that span functions and organizations. The Program Manager is expected to build credibility, establish rapport, and maintain communication with stakeholders at multiple levels. This role will maintain continuous alignment of program scope with strategic business objectives and make recommendations to modify the program to enhance effectiveness toward the business result or strategic intent.
The successful candidate for this position will have knowledge and skills in both the R&D project and business environment, as well as experience with Agile development methodologies. In addition, the candidate should have advanced skills in leadership, communication, influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead regular cross-functional program team meetings and facilitate key team activities. Drive team consensus towards coordinated activities in line with key program objectives. Ensure team member accountability for actions. Assess future challenges to programs and initiatives and mobilize team members to take action, proactively addressing issues before they escalate. Ensure appropriate change control and conduct program retrospectives.
- Coordinate cross-functional planning and change activities, ensuring cross-functional and cross-team dependencies are understood and accounted for. Create and maintain program plans, including WBS, dependencies, milestones, and baselines.
- Coordinate and communicate with program management and cross-functional colleagues to ensure that cross-team dependencies are accounted for and deployable solutions that meet market, business, and strategic objectives are delivered to our customers.
- Conduct detailed program risk assessment identifying key risk areas in a quantitative fashion, proposing risk mitigation approaches, and escalating where appropriate. Work with program team members to ensure mitigations are incorporated into plans and contingency plans are defined when needed.
- Work closely with engineering managers, scrum teams, and product managers to ensure crisp, predictable execution and on-time, high-quality delivery of R&D projects.
- Interact with and motivate talented cross-functional technical teams across multiple locations, ensuring team, program, business, and strategic objectives are met.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner to core and extended team members and management, including status reports, meeting minutes, action items, risks, and status vs. plan assessments.
- Promote and ensure adherence to new and existing processes and drive adoption of best practices and tools.
- Contribute to definition of and continuous improvement on product lifecycle, development, and cross-functional processes, tools, and metrics, proactively initiating creation and changes when needed to ensure effectiveness. Maintain a focus on quality, predictability, scalability, repeatability, operational efficiency, and customer satisfaction.
- Support R&D scrum teams and scrum masters, helping to ensure adherence to processes and best practices for scrum activities.Assist with capacity planning and monitoring and create and maintain applicable sprint reports and metrics.
- Coordinate and manage software, product, and solution releases, ensuring all release deliverables are complete and release criteria are met.
EDUCATIONAL / TRAINING / JOB-RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Program Management Professional (PgMP) or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification preferred
- Agile Scrum Master Certification a plus
- Background in revenue-generating product development program/project management, including maintaining schedules and interfaces with cross-functional team members throughout the project lifecycle and product releases to external customers
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects in a matrixed, multi-location environment
- Strong commitment to quality, attention to detail, and proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to break down complex technical information
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to be creative and pragmatic as needed
- Strong time management, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Experience with continual process improvement activities and defining and rolling out processes
- Relevant working experience with programs involving development of multi-product revenue-generating solutions, including mobile applications, web applications, SaaS solutions, and/or cloud infrastructure. Relevant working experience with programs involving enterprise processes, business operations, enterprise systems, and/or third-party integrations a plus
- Demonstrated skills in Agile story-based development, backlog management, sizing and estimation techniques, and metrics
- Software tool proficiency in MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and project management tools (e.g., MS Project, OmniPlan). Proficiency in JIRA and flowchart software (e.g., MS Visio) a plus
- Strong interpersonal, influence, conflict resolution, communication (written and verbal), listening, and leadership skills
- Proven ability to produce successful results in a lean, dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in project and/or program management of increasing complexity in a revenue-generating product development environment
- Bachelors degree in business and/or technical discipline or a related field or 4 years equivalent experience plus project management certification
WORKING CONDITIONS AND REQUIRED PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Normal office conditions
- Position location: San Marcos, California (Blast Motion HQ)
If you are interested in an available position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
. Make sure to include the title of the job you’re applying for in the subject line.