DEPARTMENT: Research & Development
REPORTS TO: VP, Advanced R&D
We are sports and technology passionate professionals that apply our knowledge and experience in sports science, and leverage cutting edge technology in a mission to provide athletic performance improvement solutions that change the way teams, coaches, players, and even parents / families play or experience the game. We look for people who have the power of dreaming beyond the possible, and then accepting the challenge to drive to make those dreams a reality.
And it is happening! Blast Motion currently has a deep patent portofio leveraged into state-of-the art product with solutions tailored for Pro, NCAA, and amateur baseball and golf markets. We are growing rapidly with some huge recent successes! The Houston Astros were early adopters in 2015 of the Blast Motion baseball pro hitting solution. Our solution was an essential core to their success in player development taking them from the bottom of the league in hitting in 2014 to a World Series championship in 2017. Several MLB teams saw what happened, woke up, and ramped up on the Blast Motion Pro solution in early 2018. The result? Over half the teams who made the post season playoffs are using the Blast Motion pro solution.
Blast Motion solutions have now been adopted and are becoming essential as used throughout 14 MLB organizations, 200 NCAA teams, and by over 100 PGA tour pros. Our goal is continue this success by providing easy to use, low cost, accurate, and compelling solutions for high school and amateur players across new sports, and provide more enjoyment for parents and families as well.
Blast Motion is a mid-staged startup based in beautiful Carlsbad, CA in a state of the art 20,000 sq. ft. facility including an sports science and usability lab, including state of the art optical machine vision systems.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
We looking for an driven sports science professional who aspires to be a leader and innovator in changing the world of sports and athletic performance forever. As a key member of the Advanced R&D team you will engage in research and development to leverage new technology to synthesize advanced biomechanical and biometric insights that athletes can leverage in a highly interactive solution, resulting in accelerated athletic improvement, and injury risk reduction. Innovation is key, and it expands into understanding how teams / coaches / athletes think, what motivates them, and how they strive for excellence and achieve it!
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Reporting to the VP of Advanced R&D, responsible for development of Sport Science strategies for accelerated athletic performance improvement. This includes foundational elements of signal processing algorithm and data analytics development that form the core of Blast Motion’s sport performance enhancement solutions.
- Operate as SME for sports performance improvement techniques, analytics, active development, and emerging trends in the Sports Science industry. This includes both competitors and potential partners. Infuse into Blast Motion business and product development with relevant information in regular reports and presentations.
- Actively synthesize new product and solutions strategies including core IP development in collaboration with the VP of Advanced R&D, business development, product development, and executive staff. Update strategy quarterly.
- Technical oversight for inertial motion and computer vision algorithm development including verification and validation as it relates to accuracy, repeatability, and processing efficiency for target product platforms.
- Subject matter expert in engagement with customers and partners in the area of Sports Science and related sport performance data analytics. This includes development and preparation of presentation and documentation to facilitate efficient engagement.
- Synthesize and execute strategies for data collection as a key element of developing comprehensive analytics and motion algorithm solutions for targeted sports performance assessment and improvement.
- Be an active member of the Blast Motion product development leadership team helping to to drive convergence of roadmap, architecture, design, planning and code development of next generation sensor fusion towards measuring the human body in motion.
- In depth knowledge and differentiated experience in the field of human biomechanics and kinesiology as applied to sports performance, and / or medical injury prevention and recovery.
- In depth experience with inertial sensor processing and fusion to detect, filter, qualify, quantify rigid body motion with high accuracy. Gyroscopes, accelerometers, magnetometers as used in IMUs for directional orientation and navigation.
- In-depth experience with best practices for data collection and cataloging, statistical analysis and filtering, and visualization towards building algorithmic processing strategies in collaboration with biomechanists / sports scientists / medical professionals.
- In-depth experience with algorithm synthesis for inertial motion as it relasts to the human body and associated athletic movements
- Expertise in developing and overseeing execution of validation processes including hands-on operation of validation tools such as Vicon motion capture.
- Experience with digital signal processing of multi-dimensional / spacial inputs.
- Hands on expertise with MatLab and Python based development environments.
- Strong professional intangibles in creativity, verbal / written communication, collaboration, presentation skills.
- Experience in a product development team / environment with a mission to deliver compelling products to commercial markets.
- Expertise in computer / machine vision.
Exposure / experience in data science and machine learning as applied to Sports Science. Includes Pattern Recognition, classification, clustering, time-series analysis, sensor fusion, multivariate statistics, categorical data analysis, regression, SVM, Clustering neural networks, logistic regression, Lasso, Frequency domain analysis, FIR/IIR, Filters.
- S. or PhD in Biomedical Engineering or Human Performance / Biomechanics (or equivalent with adjunct academic studies).
- 5+ years of directly related kinesiology / biomechanics experience in the development ot sport equipment or performance improvement solutions.
- Background check and reference checks required upon hire
- Active Green Card or U.S. citizenship required
If you are interested in an available position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Make sure to include the title of the job you’re applying for in the subject line.